What is Infertility
Nurturing Womanhood with State of the Science Fertility Treatment Services
What are the conditions for successful pregnancy under normal health conditions?
For conception to successfully occur –
- Perfect timing of ovulation and healthy eggs.
- Good quantity and quality of sperms.
- Egg’s ability to travel through fallopian tube to meet the sperm.
- Sperm’s ability to travel through the genital tract to reach the egg.
- Sperm’s ability to fertilize the egg
- A fertilized egg must develop into a healthy embryo that in turn undergoes successful implantation in the uterus
For pregnancy to continue and sustain thereafter-
- Optimal hormonal levels.
- Optimal nutritional intake.
- Not contracting diseases like measles and chickenpox that could create complications.
- Avoidance of alcohol and smoking.
- Avoidance of medicines that could have harmful effects on the foetus.
- Avoidance of intense exercises such as aerobics, horse-riding ,even auto-rickshaw, bike rides or bumpy bus rides over our potholed city roads!
What are the conditions affecting fertility in Men?
Physical problems characterized by conditions like
- Varicocele, scarring and blockage of testicular and sperm carrying ducts due to TB/STDs, congenital abnormalities.
- History of testicular damage due to high fever infections (eg mumps, TB, STDs etc)
- Retrograde ejaculation, Klinefelter’s syndrome etc
- Premature Ejaculation
- Erectile Dysfunction
- Ejaculatory incompetence i.e. inability to ejaculate during sexual intercourse although normal ejaculation occurs during masturbation.
- Smoking, use of other tobacco products like gutka or chewing tobacco.
- Alcoholism or drug abuse.
- Use of corticosteroids.
- Over-exertion and stress.
- Deficiency of Vitamin C, B complex and zinc.
- Tight underwear.
- Exposure to chemicals.
- Anemia , malnutrition.