Getting pregnant at 45 is certainly possible but, it is difficult. For one, the female reproductive clock at this age is either ticking in its last pier or already has run out of time. Medically, it is widely believed that age is the single most important factor affecting both, a woman’s chance of conceiving and continuing a healthy pregnancy. Thus, it is considered prudent that women attain pregnancies in their 20’s or early thirties. As the clock ticks past 35, fertility declines, and post 37, it skydives.
But in today’s world, with more and more career-oriented women aspiring to become pregnant at the late age of 45, this situation is a reality. Now, this poses multiple challenges for the clinician. Medically, few questions in this regard are important and need to be understood.
Tips for a healthy pregnancy if you’re pregnant at 45
The best ways to that your pregnancy is a healthy one are to:
- See your doctor before you try to conceive to make sure that any appropriate testing is performed and medications are adjusted to maximize the safety of your pregnancy.
- See your doctor regularly during your pregnancy and follow all recommendations, including the ones about screening and diagnostic tests.
- Stay on top of any chronic conditions by taking your doctor-recommended (and pregnancy-safe) medications.
- Eat well by following a healthy pregnancy diet.
- Take your prenatal vitamin daily.
- Stay hydrated.
- Avoid pregnancy-unsafe habits such as smoking, using drugs, and drinking alcohol.
- Gain the recommended amount of weight.
- Exercise at least 30 minutes a day, as long as you have a green light from your doctor.
- Get the flu shot and any other vaccines as recommended by your doctor.
- Be alert to signs of preeclampsia and other pregnancy complications.
- Count those baby kicks starting in week 28.
Share this Post
Dr. Aishwarya V. Mathikatti
MS (OBG), Diploma in Reproductive Medicine (Germany), Diploma in Ultrasonography, Consultant Obstetrics & Gynecology Infertility
Dr. Aishwarya has an experience of over 7 years. She is very passionate about artificial reproductive techniques and she constantly updates herself with the latest techniques.