The Fallopian tubes, also known as uterine tubes are tubes which stretch from the uterus to the ovaries and it is part of the female reproductive system
The fallopian tubes are muscular tubes that are lined with delicate hair-like structures. These “hairs” work in both directions; helping an egg to travel from the ovaries down to the womb (uterus) and helping sperm travel up from the womb.
If a fallopian tube is blocked, the path back to the uterus for the fertilized egg is blocked. Common reasons for blocked fallopian tubes include scar tissue, infection, and pelvic adhesions.
Symptoms of blocked fallopian tubes:
Blocked fallopian tubes don’t show symptoms.
In some cases, Blocked fallopian tubes can lead to mild pain in pelvis or belly.
Sometimes, a blockage in a fallopian tube can cause a fertilized egg to get stuck. This is known as an ectopic pregnancy.
- a history of pelvic infection
- a previous burst appendix
- having had a sexually transmitted disease, such as gonorrhoea or chlamydia
- history of abdominal surgery
- hydrosalpinx, which is swelling and fluid at the end of a fallopian tube
- scar tissue formed inside of a fallopian tube
Effects on fertility
- The blocked fallopian tube is one of the main reason for infertility.
- Both sperm and egg will meet in the fallopian tube. if blocked fallopian tube prevents them from joining this leads to infertility.
Diagnosing a blocked fallopian tube:-
- Hysterosalpingogram(HSG) to find fallopian tube is a block or not doctor injects harmless dye into the womb, that liquid(dye) should flow into the tube without any interruption. The dye which injected is visible on an X-ray.
- An ultrasound test in this process doctor uses sound waves to build up a picture of the fallopian tube.
Treating blocked fallopian tubes:
Surgery aims to open the fallopian tube using one of the following methods:
- removing scar tissue
- making a new opening on the outside of the fallopian tube
- opening the fallopian tube from the inside
Most surgeons will carry out the procedure using keyhole surgery.
Share this Post
Dr. Akhila Anand
MBBS, DGO, DRM Gynecologist, Obstetrician & Infertility Specialist
Experience: 11+ Years
Dr. Akhila Anand is the resident Obstetrician, Gynecologist & one of the Best Fertility / IVF Doctor in Rajajinagar, Bangalore.